From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-08 18:33:02

On Dec 8, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Mikhail Glushenkov wrote:

> Yuval Ronen <ronen_yuval <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>> I've checked the 'any' library, and I have a suggestion.
>> Wouldn't it be nicer if class any will have a member method like:
>>
>> template <typename T>
>> T get() const;

I personally don't see any benefit to this. Maybe it looks a little
more "OO", but any_cast truly is a cast (as with

> I proposed enhancing any_cast by adding support
> for extracting reference to the held value some
> time ago(and it was proposed in the past), but nobody
> replied to that message.

I thought we had decided that we wanted to do it (a very long time
ago), but nobody actually supplied a portable implementation. It seems
that it wouldn't be too hard to do.

> Looks like Boost.Any
> maintainer's on the vacation.

Kevlin has not been active recently, and for all practice purposes
Boost.Any does not have a maintainer.

        Doug