From: Roland Weiss (weissr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-13 05:51:57

Yuval Ronen wrote:
> I have to admit two things in shame:
> 1. My knowledge of the C++ standard is not that profound as to decide
> whether the "template" is necessary or not.
> 2. I also didn't quite understand your reply. What was the conclusion? Is
> the "template" needed to exist? Not needed to exist? Needed not to exist?
>
> So, in light of these shortcomings of mine, I decied to give it a try. I
> testes both versions (with and without the "template") on 3 compilers: GNU
> GCC 3.2, GNU GCC 3.4.2 and MSVC 7.1. The results were that GCC 3.2 and MSVC
> 7.1 accepted both versions, while GCC 3.4.2 accepted only the version
> without the "template".
>
> So what's the conlusion now?

They are not needed when /using/ any objects. Have a look at section 5.1 of

C++ Templates, The Complete Guide, Vandevoorde & Josuttis

for a quick overview on the topic when to use the keywords "typename"
and "template" to disambiguate template code. Short rule: never do this
outside of template code, and only for constructs depending on the
template parameters.

greetings,
Roland