From: Leo Goodstadt (leo.goodstadt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-13 06:24:51

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 12:13 +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Bertolt Mildner wrote:
>
> >> Yes, formatting is smashed anyway, so ignoring the tabs on the seconds
> > line
> >> is a viable option.
> >
> > OK, so they are ignored, *but* i still think that asserting on it is vital
> > because in the other case (= fixed length set by user or even worth, line
> > length defaults to m_default_line_length cause user did *not* set a line
> > length at all) it would mean that the formatting simply silently fails.
> > Not very nice form a users point of view!

I am joining this discussion really late but I have also written (an in-
house) prettifier which reformats the options descriptions.
Some thoughts:

One of things I did was to align the description lines of different sets
of options. (I usually have at least two sets of options, one of which
is truly optional, and one of which is mandatory. I.e. an exception is
throw if any are missing).

I considered doing everything by tabs etc., but decided that it would be
much better to embed a "line-wrap control code" in my description text.
I just used "\0x01" which is a bit of a kludge but no worse that "the
last tab".

Leo