From: Ferdinand Prantl (ferdipr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-13 11:23:13

> From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
> [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of David Abrahams
>
> I just downloaded boost-1.32.0 and started to unzip it with
> the built-in facilities in Windows XP; the OS reported it was
> going to take 50 minutes and it was *crawling*. Using
> cygwin's unzip tool it was done in under a minute.
>
> I'm thinking we should stop distributing raw .zip files
> without an extractor...

Hmm, I have never tried it. I always use Info-Zip's unzip
or the built-in unzipper in some file manager.

A notice about this strange behavior on the download page
with a link to some good unzipping tool (preferably without
the cygwin dependency) would do, for example the official
Info-Zip site:

  http://www.info-zip.org/UnZip.html#Win32

Links to unpackers for the downloadable files are also on
other sites.

And you may consider submitting a feature change request
to Microsoft ;-)

Ferda