From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-15 13:39:30

On 12/15/2004 09:45 AM, Neal D. Becker wrote:

> So, do you mean you want to use pkg-config to record the settings that were
> used to build boost? If so, I misunderstood. This might be useful.

I've been wanting something that would also record the variants of the
files used to build a particular main target also. For example,
something like:

<-------------
1.1 Makefile
1.1 basic_targets.imk
1.1 boost-root.ln/boost/config.hpp
1.1 boost-root.ln/boost/config/compiler/gcc.hpp
1.1 boost-root.ln/boost/config/platform/linux.hpp
1.3 boost-root.ln/development/boost/dyn_inherit/dynamic_base.hpp
1.2 boost-root.ln/development/boost/dyn_inherit/virtual_dtor_abs.hpp
>-------------
recorded in file:

  boost-root.ln\
   /release/gcc/debug\
   /libs/grammar_pipeline/test/base/productions.release.log

{where:
   1) the trailing \ indicate line concatenation as in unix
   2) the 2nd line indicates how the release was built, much
      like boost-build does with it's directory naming convention
   3) the 2nd line indicates what release was built, again
      much like boost-build
}

corresponding to the main target:

   productions.cpp

in the corresponding test directory:

   boost-root.ln\
   /libs/grammar_pipeline/test/base

The column 1 numbers in the release.log are the RCS version numbers.
Since the log files can be versioned, this allows a simple comparison
between the *.release.log files to see which files have changed
between releases. Also, using *.release.log.~i.j~ and the information
provided by pkg-config (IIUC) you can recreate the productions.exe
file as it was on the date corresponding to *.release.log.~i.j~ .
Also, the log entries for release.log files is a convenient place to
summarize the reason for changes. I know you can tag each of the RCS
(or CVS) files with some version number; however, the above seems more
intuitive to me.