From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-18 19:58:14

Hi Peter

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
Fecha: Sábado, Diciembre 18, 2004 11:15 pm
Asunto: Re: [boost] [config][gcc 3.4.2] Request for test
        aboutfunctiontemplate ordering

> JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z wrote:
> > Hi Martin. Well, seems my snippet does not capture
> > the problem, but defiintely there's some difference
> > wrt function template ordering handling between
> > GCC 3.3.x and GCC 3.3.4: the issue is shown
> > here:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/3nkgw (GCC 3.4.3 on your regression
> > machine)
> >
> > This is a test for serialization capabilities of
> > Boost.MultiIndex, and it works for GCC <3.4.x.
> > In GCC 3.4.4, hoeever, a user-provided overload of
> > boost::serialization::load_construct_data is not
> > picked up.
>
> It's probably two-phase lookup related; have you tried putting the
> user
> overload in the user class' namespace, where it belongs?

Indeed it is a 2-phase lookup issue, as Robert has pointed
out.

> Don't automatically jump to conclusions that partial ordering is
> broken;
> more often than not, it is the code that is broken.

How I wished that was true :) more often than not, making
my library work for a wide range of compilers had nothing
to do with my code compliance. This particular case is,
to my delight, an exception.

Best,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo