From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-24 22:26:03

Joel de Guzman wrote:

>>>Right. First-follow makes a parser predictive and thus deterministic,
>>

>> Okay, either I'm "right" and first-follow can be used to prune
>> unproductive parses in a nondeterministic parse *or* using first-follow
>> makes a parser deterministic. It can't be both :)
>
> Using first-follow makes a parser deterministic, it can't be both.
> An LL(1) parser, for instance, doesn't do backtracking.

Yes, but LL(1) is not synonymous with "recursive descent with first/follow."

> It always
> has one and only one choice when faced with alternatives. It's
> roughly like the switch (deterministic) versus the cascading ifs
> (non-deterministic).
>
> However... (see below)
>
>> As I understand "nondeterministic" it just means you're doing
>> backtracking when a parse gets into trouble, unlike in an NFA where
>> you're conceptually moving along all viable paths in parallel. I don't
>> see why the use of first/follow should preclude backtracking. You can
>> always define ambiguous grammars with dynamic failure conditions.
>>
>>>typically with one symbol lookahead (LL(1)). A strictly predictive
>>>parser is a lot more restrictive in the grammars that one can use,
>>>however. There's no way to make it parse adhoc grammars like the
>>>C pre-processor or, ahem, c++. What I am inclined to do is to mix
>>>determinism with classic spirit's non-determinism. Exactly the
>>>recipe that you are alluding to.
>>
>> I'm not sure if it is or not -- I'm just getting more confuseder. ;^)
>
> Classic LL(1) does not have the "dynamic failure conditions" that
> you mention.

Yes, I know that. But then, LL(1) is not synonymous with "recursive
descent with first/follow."

> NLL(1) grammars cannot have ambiguity. If the grammar
> is ambiguous, first follow computation will fail (first follow
> conflicts).

Hum? The algorithm for computing the first and follow sets of a symbol
don't have an "otherwise the computation fails" branch, and the
definitions of these sets are simple:

  first(a) = the set of tokens that can begin strings derived from a.
  follow(N) = the set of tokens that can follow N in grammatical sequences

You can use this information to eliminate hopeless branches of a parse
and avoid wasting effort backtracking without requiring the grammar to
be LL(1) or LL(2) or... even to be unambiguous at all.

> I'm developing a scheme where you can mix both predictive LL(1) with
> classic spirit's non-determinism. The scheme involves using a
> predictive front, backed up by a non-predictive fall-back step when
> ambiguity arises. It's roughly like combining the switch with
> cascading-ifs.

Maybe we're talking about the same thing.

> It's still too early if such a scheme will hold water. AFAIK, no one
> has done it yet.

If you're talking about what I'm describing, I don't think there's
anything particularly radical about it, and I'd be very surprised if it
hadn't been done before.

> An alternative scheme is to let the user switch
> strategies (possibly using spirit directives).
>
> Another scheme, used by PCCTS, is to make the parser predictive
> by default, and allow the user to use syntactic and semantic
> predicates with arbitrary lookahead on specific points in
> the grammar.

Eewww, I smell a kludge ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams