From: Marcelo E. Magallon (mmagallo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-28 16:16:59

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 12:11:08PM -0500, Alan Gutierrez wrote:

> I'd like to look at how OS X is able to make a PDF of everything.
> Observing that capability lead me to believe that you could
> simply swap out the underlying device.

 That's easy: you start with a vector description of *everything* and
 plug a rasterizer where needed. This vector description in Quartz is
 called DPS: Display PostScript.

 This gives you the gimmicks you see on MacOS X, for example window
 minimization and maximization effects. You just need to start with a
 rectangle, and subdivide the edges, and apply some transformation to
 them. Then you can use algebraic grid generation to compute the inner
 grid. And now you only need to apply the grid transformation to the
 elements of the window.

 Marcelo