From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-29 14:34:25

Scott Woods wrote:

>> I believe you could easily achive what you want to accomplish by
>> serializaiton to a memory buffer (e.g string_stream) and transmitting
> this.
>> On the other end the inverse of this process would occur.
>
> On the transmit side your suggestion seems completely workable. On the
> receive side you have the problem (i.e. in async environment) of not
> knowing whether the data available at any point will be enough to
> complete the
> call to operator>>. You cant make a call that is going to "block" in
> some way.

I have to say I just can't see this understand this. I envision such a
process as functioning in the following way.

transmitting program
serialize to a string. we now have its total length.
transmit a string using what ever method syncronous/asyncronous whatever.

recieving program
retrieve a string - using what ever method async, sync or whatever.
when a complete string is retrieved/reassembled or whatever
de-serialize to the original structure.

Honestly, I can't see any thing about this that is less than optimal.

Robert Ramey