From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-29 15:07:22

Reece Dunn wrote:

Thanks for the summary.. I got tired of trying to follow all the other
GUI threads.

> We have different people with different needs and ideas as to what
> constitutes a UI system.

If I was to use some sort of Boost.GUI it would be to implement a
zooming interface.

> The general concensus is that the resulting
> library should be designed independant of any target implementation and
> should support general platforms such as text-based systems.

The ideal library would allow user customization to account for non
traditional interfaces. I don't think we want to be stuck with a library
that can't be modified/expanded in the future.

> There are several layers to a (G)UI library:
> [2] The geometry layer - unit type, point, size, rect.

For a zooming-ui there would need to be some form of non 2D aspect. Like
Z or Layer component. So making sure that one can
redefine/replace/customize the actual definitions of these base types
would be essential.

> Each of these layers is conceptually independant, but builds on top of
> the other. Should there be a separate library for each of these layers
> (Boost.Platform, Boost.Geometry, Boost.Graphics, Boost.Events and
> Boost.UIObject)?

Definitely. As it would make it that much more useful to others if they
case use those parts independently.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything