From: Alan Gutierrez (alan-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-29 15:37:14

* Neal Coombes <nealc_at_[hidden]> [2004-12-29 15:29]:
> Reece Dunn wrote:
> >
> >There are several layers to a (G)UI library:
> >[1] The platform independant layer.
> >[2] The geometry layer - unit type, point, size, rect.
> >[3] The base graphics layer - fonts, canvas, pens, images, etc.
> >[4] The event handling layer - event loop, events, event handlers.
> >[5] The UI object layer - frames, forms, widgets, lightweight objects,
> >etc.
>
> This is a significant tangent from this conversation. Does anyone think
> it would be possible/useful to create an event-loop library completely
> independent of the GUI library, but that the GUI library would use. I
> think there are probably vast uses other than GUI apps that could take
> advantage of such a component. Obviously the signal library could be
> put to good use in such an event library (once the performance
> optimizations are implemented).

> This is pretty much just a random thought :)

    I agree. I'd like to see the form validation broken out, for
    example, into a validation library, that could be used to
    validate db inserts, remote form submissions, etc.

    I'm sure that some of the magic that goes into a vector graphics
    library could be applied to sundry problem domains.

    Again, flatter heirarchy.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan_at_[hidden]