From: Alan Gutierrez (alan-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-29 22:57:27

* Brian Braatz <brianb_at_[hidden]> [2004-12-29 21:35]:

    First, I pulled the topic suggestion off of the Wiki page.

> What is a flowing text strategy?

> Discuss!

    Most libraries are now working on having a solution to render
    text in paragraphs and columns. Users are now familiar with, and
    expect to see, hyperlinked documents.

    You don't need a full blown word processors, or web browser, but
    you need more than a "rich-text control". CSS defines different
    levels of what is expected.

    A UI library doesn't need to provide a CSS parser for a document
    renderer, just as one doesn't need to provide a RDBMS for a grid
    renderer, but one need to provide bi-directional flowing text.

    A UI library needs to see that rendering is not the same thing
    as layout. Layouts are a trick for rendering forms.

    Anyway, this discussion of window frames, and controls, it
    sounds like Visual Basic to me, and if that's all a Boost.GUI
    library want's to be, then it is nothing new.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan_at_[hidden]