From: Jody Hagins (jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-30 10:12:46

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:25:51 +0000
Reece Dunn <msclrhd_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> How do you intend on writing *UI objects* - frames, widgets, layout
> managers, etc. - that can interact with each other, be moved and
> process events correctly without sharing a common *ui::object* base?

No one should confuse me with a GUI expert, so take what I say with a
grain of salt w.r.t. GUI development. However, I want to respond to
this question, as it really does not have anything to do with GUIs.

I assume you are talking about having a common base class with virtual
functions for common tasks. This is certainly one way of doing it, and
not being a GUI person, I can not comment on the "correctness" of such a
proposal - it may well be the best methodology.

However, to answer your question, you can certainly accomplish the same
thing (i.e., "write UI objects that can interact with each other")
without a common inheritance hierarchy.

What kinds of interaction between the objects requires inheriting from a
common base class, as opposed to using Boost.Bind, Boost.Function, and
Boost.Signal?