From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-31 06:07:05

On 12/22/04 4:56 AM, "Andras Erdei" <aerdei_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:52:30 -0500, Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see precise directions of the algorithms that give the
>> closest representable result (that have to try avoiding internal overflow).
>
> i'm not sure what you mean by "have to try avoiding internal overflow":
[TRUNCATE]

That you can't continue to use a variable from an intermediate result that
has overflowed, since it's garbage. This means ordering your calculations
so the answers always fit within the variable's type. (As you later
explained, that doesn't preclude algorithms that take a new direction upon
realizing an upcoming overflow.)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie