From: Ion Gaztañaga (ion_g_m_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-05 05:59:04

Hello to all,

 I'm announcing a new version of Boost.Shmem library. The file is in Boost
Files section (Boost.Shmem.2005.01.04.zip). After some months working
with other people from boost, the library has suffered some serious rework.

 First of all, all documentation has been ported to BoostBook format and can
be built with bjam --v2 from doc directory. It has been a hard work to port
from word format to boostbook, but now, the boostbook format is much nicer.
Please, this is the first rough version of the documentation, so I would be
glad to receive feedback about this.

 Regarding to library, new features have been added:

-> Shared memory mapping to fixed addresses

-> Templatized mutex types, so that different locking mechanisms can be used
indepently from the framework

-> Templatized shared memory allocation algorithm, so that the framework can
be expanded with new allocation algorithms.

-> Templatized pointer types in shared memory STL allocator, so that the
pointer type is independent from the framework. This allows using all STL
implementations with the framework if the memory is mapped in the same
address in different processes.

-> Use of boost preprocessor to implement a new, wider, more clear calling
syntax. See documentation to see more details.

-> New relative pointer types, to balance pointer size, pointed object
range, etc...

 There are many new features in the library but I wanted to mantain this
announcement short. The library has been tested in Visual C++ .NET 2003 and
gcc 3.4.3 in Suse 9.2 Linux. Please, feel free to report any comment, bug or
idea.

Regards,

Ion