From: Joel (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-05 19:20:05

<< I've already posted this to other lists and newsgroups,
for some reason, I am having some difficulty in posting this
here through gmane, so I'm trying again. Pardon me if this
is a duplicate >>

Hello,

Boost (www.boost.org) is an open, collaborative effort that includes
thousands of programmers from the C++ community at large. Boost is
hoping to retire the existing logo (http://www.boost.org/boost.png)
and adopt a new one. We are now launching a competition for the
creation of a new logo.

The competition is open to all designers, both professional and non-
professional. The final design must be submitted as a scalable vector
format, preferably SVG or EPS. A free, open source, scalable vector
graphics editor can be found here: http://inkscape.org/. Alternative
bitmap versions (small, medium and large icons, web graphics, etc.) of
the logo may also be submitted to augment the main vector format. A
JPEG or PNG version, to be placed in a web page, must also be
submitted for judging.

The Boost community will vote on submitted entries. Voting shall be
based on Instant Runoff Voting
(http://www.fairvote.org/irv/whatis2.htm), meaning that each
individual voter shall choose 5 favorites, in order of preference.

In addition to proper acknowledgement, the winning designer will
receive:

+ the Boost Logo Designer T-shirt (printed with the winning logo
   design), plus,
+ a signed copy of the MPL book by David Abrahams and Aleksey
   Gurtovoy, C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and
   Techniques from Boost and Beyond
   (http://www.awprofessional.com/titles/0321227255)

Entries will be accepted on or before February 15, 2005. I will act as
the logo contest manager. Please email all entries to me (djowel at
gmail dot com). I shall post all submitted entries to Boost's web
site. The competition will close on March 1, 2005 and the winning
entry will be announced soon thereafter.

+ The logo must be immediately identifiable with the spirit of Boost.

+ The logo's concept must be simple and clear and should have
   relevance to the organization.

+ The logo should not be too detailed and should work in low
   resolution.

+ Any logo submission that is blatantly racist, sexist, obscene, or
   otherwise discriminatory will be rejected.

+ The logo must be the original work of the submitter.

+ The logo must be free of any copyright or other intellectual property
   claims.

+ The winning logo shall be distributed under the Boost Software
   License, Version 1.0. (www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt).

Regards,

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com