From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-05 22:15:43

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:02:44 -0000, Dave Handley wrote

> > Is there any other functionality that should be added? Specifically,
> > is it sufficient to enforce that singletons are created in a specific
> > order before main and destroyed in the reverse order after main (using
> > dependency instances), or should I provide some way to support
> > alternate lifetimes (ex: create on first reference to instance)?
>
> Ordering of Singletons is, in my opinion, one of the most important
> issues with Singletons. It is almost certainly insufficient in most
> applications to create in a specific order, and delete in reverse
> order.

Yep -- I've spent way to much time fighting the 'crash on exit' problems
associated with unordered singleton destruction at program shutdown (not my
code, of course :-)

> > Is there any interest in adding this library to Boost?
>
> I would love to see a robust implementation of a Singleton in Boost.

Yep, we should have one. However, I agree, something more along the lines of
the Loki singleton would be better than the proposal from 'Mr. Chaos'....

> Whenever I start a software project, almost without exception I tend
> to add both Boost and Loki to the project - it would be great if I
> could add only Boost. I have to say however, that a more general
> library which implemented a variety of design patterns (like Loki)
> would be even better. For example:
>
> 1) Singleton
> 2) Visitor - like Loki implementing both a conventional cyclic
> visitor, and an acyclic visitor.
>3) Composite
>4) Abstract Factory
> 5) etc. etc.