From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-08 15:01:49

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:29:40 +0100, Roland Schwarz wrote
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
> >=== Overview Of Proposed Process ===
> >
> >* Learn about Boost.
> >* Determine interest.
> >

> Since I am not a native english speaker, please tell me what
> "Determine interest" means. Does it mean:
> 1) Find out by posting to the list if there is any interest for the
> lib xy, or
> 2) prove that you are interested in the boost community
> by actively taking part in discussions on the list.

It's #1 -- find out if anyone is potentially interested in your library
proposal. I'd guess 25% of the stuff that comes up stops at this step.

> The following three steps sound very good.
>
> >* Add a Wiki Under Construction Page ('''new step''')
> >* Preliminary submission.
> >* Request Mentor ('''new step''')
> >

> Im am curious though what needs to be present at this stage?
> Is it necessary to have everything as outlined in the formal review
> requirements?

Pretty much nothing beyond a concept is needed to get started. At preliminary
submission there needs to be a code prototype. I intentionally put the
'request a mentor' after this point so that people that aren't going to do
anything don't have mentors...

> Since I think I do have something that could be interesting to the
> common, but I am in no means sure others will see it this way, it
> seems a little too early to take the burden of full blown
> documentation, bjam'ing and writing all the tests.

Well, if I understand your question correctly, at the preliminary submission
stage some code would be uploaded and made available for others to try out.
It might not have any documentation besides a simple readme or something at
this stage. At this second step you basically get a more detailed guage of
whether your idea is going to work out.

> (Also the last three steps turned out to be unexpectedly nontrivial.
> I could not even find information how I can compile the lib as if it
> already is part of the boost tree. So a mentor would be really
> helpful here.)

Agreed.

Jeff