From: Jason Hise (chaos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-09 09:58:57

Beman Dawes wrote:

> Andre argues strongly that policies should be orthogonal, and I
> suppose designs are a bit cleaner (and documentation easier) if there
> is no interaction between policies. But orthogonality does make it
> difficult or impossible to provide certain features, so it doesn't
> bother me if policies interact in well documented ways.

It would seem artificial to me in the first place to try to pretend that
an object's lifetime is completely independent of its allocation
methods, as allocation/deallocation is how a singletons lifetime
generally begins and ends. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if
allocation should even be a policy passed to the singleton itself, when
allocation might be better suited as a policy just for lifetime policies.

-Jason