From: Joel (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-10 20:02:05

Joel wrote:

> The wikipedia has an even stricter definition:
>
> '''
> currying is the technique of transforming a function
> taking multiple arguments into a function that takes a
> single argument (the first of the arguments to the original
> function) and returns a new function which takes the
> remainder of the arguments and returns the result.
> '''
>
> Here, it is only the first argument. If we follow this
> strict definition, I dare say that most (all?) modern languages
> (even Haskell) misuse the term "curry" and that the strict
> definition has little value now and should probably be
> modernized. Heck, Moses Schönfinkel invented that in 1924!

Even the wikipedia contradicts itself when it says:

'''
The practical motivation for currying is that very often the
functions you get by supplying some but not all of the arguments
to a curried function are useful; ...
'''

the contradictory word is "some" vs. "single".

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currying ]

Cheers,

--
Joel de Guzman