From: Jody Hagins (jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-12 14:25:05

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:46:42 -0500
"Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Example uses ifdef because:
>
> 1. It used to demonstrate that timeout support is not supported
> everywhere 2. We know for sure it will hang if run on a system that
> does not support timeout

Right. I understand.

> You as a user shouldn't in general expect it and if it does hang and
> your system doesn't support timeout you will have to interrupt it
> yourself. The only reason to use ifdef is the case when you are doing
> portable development and willing to ignore possible infinite loop on
> some configurations for the sake of ability to run a test as a part of
> regression suite (without human intervention). Is it really the case?

Yes, I know, and understand all you are saying here. Maybe trying to be
complete has hidden what I am really asking. What I am requesting is
that Boost.Test supply a macro that can be used instead of me, the dumb
user, having to know if the internals of Boost.Test support my platform.

I would like to do something like...

#ifdef
#BOOST_TEST_Some_Macro_Telling_Me_If_Timeout_Is_Supported_On_My_Platform

rather than doing...

#ifdef __unix

Since the Boost headers already have figured out my platform, and
Boost.Test is the one that knows the support it provides.

Thanks!