From: Scott Woods (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-12 20:16:06

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Hise" <chaos_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Singleton

[snip]

>My approach was:
>
>1. Have a single SingletonRegistry that would keep pointers to all
Singleton
>instances (well, actually, SingletonBase instances. SingletonBase is not a
>class-template.)
>2. Each instance has a longevity-int associated with it. At
>destruction-time, we sort the singleton-instances based on their relative
>longevities, and destroy the objects in order.
>It's kinda up to the "client" of Singleton<T> to figure out the
>collaboration between her classes, and assign longevity-values to her
>classes.
>3. Singleton<T> instances are "registered" with the SingletonRegistry, by
>its constructor.
>4. Singleton<T>::~Singleton() lets the registry know that the instance may
>be destroyed. The SingletonRegistry destroys the instance if all singletons
>with a lesser longevity have already been marked for destruction. (I guess
>that's simple mark-and-sweep.)
>
>I'd be honoured and grateful if anyone has comments on this approach.

At your command :-)

Apologies for the delayed response but I was waiting for this to develop.
Instead
it seems to have gone elsewhere.

After struggling with the issue of ctor+dtor of C++ globals for some time, I
wonder at the efficacy of your own intentions, WRT correct dtor of
singletons.

While I can see where it is headed and can imagine that it will solve a
set of problems, does it solve the typical problem? Assigning some
ordering "longevity-int" is creating another "model of destruction". This
is different to the CRT model and more significantly, configurable.

The perfect ordering of global ctor+dtor is runtime dependent, i.e. the
sequence of ctor's and dtor's alters from one execution to another.

Here's one instance of related research by others;

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ctors.html#faq-10.13

If your model is different to the "real" model (ctor+dtor sequence
is runtime dependent), what will you achieve with it?

If someone wth a dtor dependency issue discovers your "longevity-int"
feature, applies it to a complex codebase only to discover that the
true problem is outside the domain of an "ordering ints" strategy, is
the wasted effort entirely their fault? A ridiculous question posed
to make a point.

Only hoping to reduce your workload. Developing the singleton template
is starting to look like a real job.

Cheers,
Scott