From: Bob Bell (belvis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-12 18:05:02

christopher diggins <cdiggins <at> videotron.ca> writes:
> [...]

The first thing that's apparent to me is that the actual difference in
complexity between the ToUpper you wrote and the toupper_filter quoted here is
really quite minor. The second thing that's apparent is that your ToUpper relies
on global variables, whereas toupper_filter relies on function arguments, which
in my mind is a more heavily-weighted concern than the complexity difference. My
question is why you do you think relying on globals is a better approach? Some
of your points have been motivated by the needs of novice C++ programmers; do
you really think it is better to advocate a programming style that relies on
global variables?

Bob