From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-22 13:58:26

Jody Hagins wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:44:43 +0100
> "Andreas Huber" <ahd6974-spamgroupstrap_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>How do you want to integrate? Do you want to run your tests as a part
>>of all the other tests? I wouldn't know how to do that but I think you
>>don't need to if you want to prepare a submission. IMO, all that's
>>necessary is that your tests and examples build/run from their
>>respective subdirectories.
>
> Basically, I would like to build tests so that they do the "right" thing
> w.r.t. all other boost tests.
>
> I would like to be able to run from the top, with all tests, and also
> stand alone. I would also like it to integrate properly with the
> command line options and so on, but I am beginning to think that none of
> the tests can do this as it is...

If by "top" you mean boost-root.. Tests never build or run from that
location. The regression test machines run "all" tests from the
boost-root/status directory. When a library is added to Boost the
library author adds a reference to their library tests in the
boost-root/status/Jamfile (if you take a look it should be obvious from
the examples there).

But before a library is accepted and hence is not added to Boost you
should only need to run the tests for the library from
library-root/libs/<library>/test, which should have a Jamfile.

All the fancy options that you see when you are at the boost-root, and
do "bjam --help", are only available at that location. And are only
intended for build+install for the libraries that need it, and for the
headers. That is, it's a _user_ convenience, library developers have to
deal with Boost.Build directly.

Hope this clarifies some things for you.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything