From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-25 09:27:08

Jody Hagins <jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Currently, there is no Boost.Utility compiled library, but I think the
> type_id stuff fits into Utility better than anything else. It does not
> seem to be its own library since it is providing utility access and
> workaround for the typeid facility. If there were a libutility, then
> I'd just add it there...

I don't think we should be glomming any new stuff into utility, and we
definitely shouldn't build a monolithic library for all the utility
code. I believe typeid makes sense as a separate library.

#4 sounds good to me.

> In the process of writing the tests for the type_id code, I had to do
> some shared library work. Since there is nothing in boost for this
> already, I also wrote a DLL library (which I think *should* be it's own
> library -- though it does not require an explicit compiled library -- it
> is all in headers). Would the DLL library be on the same fast-track for
> type_id, or would we need to first wait for the DLL to get type_id done?

Technically, DLL would have to remain a not-officially-documented
implementation detail of typeid DLL is separately fast-track reviewed,
unless we are somehow going to fast-track review them together.

> FWIW, everyone should try to go through something small like this, if
> for no other reason than to appreciate the vast amount of effort
> involved in the entire process... especially learning the build
> environment, getting code to work on non-conforming compilers, and
> writing reasonable tests. Even so, when I present the modified code, I
> have issues myself to raise (as if that were not obvious by now ;-).
> Anyway, thanks to everyone for much patience, and very little scorn...

i'm-from-new-jersey-we-like-sweet-corn-ly y'rs,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting