From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-26 12:56:42

On 01/25/2005 11:57 PM, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
[snip]
> version of my interfaces library. The download page and online docs are here:
>
> http://www.kangaroologic.com/interfaces/

[snip]

> Current applications include:
>
> * Non-intrusive dynamic polymorphism - interfaces can often be used in place
> of abstract base classes, and are sometimes much faster.
> * Dynamic inheritance - allows function calls to be forwarded automatically
> to an object specified at runtime.

The dynamic inheritance is what would be useful, IMO, for compilers.
During different phases of the translation, the nodes in the AST can
be "decorated" with different attributes and methods which modify
those attributes in a way dependent on attributes in other nodes
in the AST. An example of this, used to calculate the first and
follow sets of a grammar, is at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/boost/grammar_pipeline/eff/

Would you have the time and inclination to outline the advantages of

  http://www.kangaroologic.com/interfaces/

vs. that in the sandbox at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/boost/dyn_inherit/

?