From: Timothy Knox (tdk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-27 20:32:28

Somewhere on Shadow Earth, at Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 04:40:06PM -0500, Jody Hagins wrote:
<snip>
> Some people may alias cp to get that behavior in
> their interactive shells (e.g., alias cp="cp -i"), but it is definitely
> not the default, and I agree that copy_file() call should not force the
> file to be gone before doing to copy.

And if IIRC, for the last few years, by default, various RedHat
distros had "alias cp='cp -i'" as a default in one of the shell
startup files, so it is easy to believe that many folks might not
realise that that was special behaviour that they had had requested
on their behalf, rather than standard shell behaviour.

--
Timothy Knox <mailto:tdk_at_[hidden]>
The one thing I've learned about freedom of expression is that you really