From: Matthew Vogt (mattvogt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-31 05:17:57

christopher diggins wrote:
>> The template-based IDL will make this stuff easier.
>

> Agreed.

Is there a non-macro-based variant of the IDL in development, or is this
referring to the implementation behind the macros?

If the first, sorry that I missed it. Could you please give me a link?

<snip>

>>> The names that I like:
>>>
>>> IEmpty
>>> IAnything
>>> IUnknown
>>> INull

I find all of these distrurbingly reminiscent of COM interfaces...

> I would rather say:
>
> FuBar(IAnything n) {
> if (n.type_info() == typeid(int)) {
> cout << extract<int>(n);
> }
> }
>
> Whatever, this is trivial stuff, I don't really care that much.

I beg to differ, and I am sure many others will along with me :)

My preference is for 'unknown', since you don't know anything about the type.

FuBar(unknown obj) {
   if (target_type(obj) == typeid(int)) {
     cout << extract<int>(obj);
   }