From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-31 06:16:35

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Subversion isn't a realistic choice at the moment unless we are going to move
> away from sourceforge for repository hosting. Quoting from the docs at:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14033&group_id=1#alternateversioning
>
> CVS is not the only version control system available in the world. One
> (very promising) version control system currently under development is
> Subversion. Subversion, an Open Source version control system (like CVS), has
> been designed to solve a number of the design flaws found in CVS.
>
> At this time, Subversion is still under heavy development and has not yet
> reached the level of stability and maturity needed to provide production-grade
> Subversion services from SourceForge.net. The SourceForge.net team is
> continuing to evaluate the progress of the Subversion development process and
> will consider providing Subversion services once a suitable level of maturity
> has been reached.

Sure, one would have to host somewhere other than sourceforge to use
subversion. I was under the impression that this was an option but
couldn't find the posts in the archive. I'm guessing the sourceforge
quote above is a year old, and though it may have been accurate when it
was written, it isn't anymore. There have been fifteen releases of SVN
in the last year (since 1.0), and only one of which has had new
features, the rest have been bug/security fixes. The subversion
developers are doing an excellent job in this regard.

troy d. straszheim