From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-02 18:50:06

Brian Braatz wrote:
> [...]
> Anyone else have any experience with these two side by side they
> wish to share?

I've just started using SVN with some Java projects, and I have to
say that the SVN integration with Eclipse is pretty good. I've
never used such intuitive version control anywhere. There's a few
complexities, like trying to merge changes between branches; but for
the vast majority of tasks, it's a pleasure to work with. That said,
I don't know how painful it is to use SVN from the command line, but
TortoiseSVN is about as easy to use from the filesystem as
TortoiseCVS (if not more so). The ability to store filesystem
changes is a big win for SVN, IMO. I just get the impression that
the overall design of SVN is more elegant and robust, since it isn't
a legacy system built up out of a series of hacks. The two-way
diff transfer is also very nice, and the way it handles binaries
makes me confident storing binaries in a repository. I only have
a handful of developers hitting my server, but I haven't heard of
any scalability problems from other SVN projects.

If it came to a vote, I'd say switch to SVN.

Dave