From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-03 02:23:36

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>>>It's been deprecated *since the dawn of time*. I planned post an
>>>announcement together with library update announcement.
>>
>>Still, developers like to avoid broken regression tests; they're
>>upsetting to developers at best. A simple post with advance warning
>>that you were going to remove BOOST_TEST would have given everyone an
>>opportunity to prevent a large swath of red squares.
>

> What's wrong with red squares? Isn't it a basic paradigm of TDD? You make
> change - you fix all the test cases that failed. Failing test cases is your
> announcement that something needs to be done. Anyway 3 years should've been
> enough to get rid of tools that were announced deprecated.

Well, one thing that is wrong with red squares is that they
cost resources. Testing time significantly grows with the
number of failing tests. Giving the developers a chance to
phase out BOOST_TEST would have decreased the number of
attempts to compile broken code.

OTOH, if it has been deprecated for a long time, then
developers should have phased it out already. Anyway,
a heads-up would have been helpful.

Regards,