From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-04 09:38:39

Hi,

There are several Boost-related projects underway around the theme of
unordered containers (in my case, I'm pretty much on the verge
of releasing a preview of hashed indices for Boost.MultiIndex.)
All these projects have the common need of a hash<> implementation
being available, preferrably promoted to a public namespace rather
than as an implementation detail.

Although Boost.TR1's purpose is not to implement new features but
rather wrap them to achieve std::tr1-compliance, I think it'd be very
useful if some tr1-hash implementation could be added to Boost.
For the record, I'm currently using Jeremy Maitin-Shepard and
Daniel James' implementation in Sanbox files/unordered.tar.gz. I
think it is a rather solid implementation, taking care of compilers
witohut PTS such as MSVC++ 6.0/7.0.

As for the location, my pereference would be boost/functional/hash.hpp.
Boost.TR1 could embrace this later in boost/tr1/functional.hpp.

Could this be done? Maybe as a separate activity from Boost.TR1?
Am I entitled to do it myself as part of the upgrade of my library,
even though this would be adding a new library in disguise? As it
happens, I think I'll be able to release hashed indices in time for
Boost 1.33, but this detail can be a showstopper :(

Thank you,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo