From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-05 16:23:24

Edward Diener wrote:
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
>
>>Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>>>My numbers are 288 MB for SVN and 96 MB for CVS. I have checked out
>>>only the latest Boost directory structure from both. That 3-1 margin
>>>is bothersome but is not the margin you reported. Is it possible
>>>that your numbers do not take into account the same files being
>>>checked out by each ?
>>>

>>I didn't have deflation turned on in the http server. Sorry for the
>>confusion. How does it look now?
>

> No difference. My guess is any compression occurs on the server repository,
> not on the .svn directories created on the client side.

There are two things going on here... The first is how much space a
checkout takes up on local disk, and SVN is going to be probably twice
as large as CVS, because it caches an entire copy of the checkout, which
is why "svn diff" is very fast and works when you're offline. (*sweet*)
Am I correct in thinking that 288MB and 96MB, above, correspond to
on-disk size?

The other was network bandwidth, which Beman brought up, which I guess
came up because he got a copy of the trunk *and* all the branches...
anyhow I found the business about deflation deep in the apache config
files and made sure it was on. It did not appear to have been on
before, but I guess it could have been... I'm not exactly Mr. Apache.
Anyhow this deflation stuff appears to be equivalent to what CVS does,
I'd say it's not an issue.

-t