From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-07 11:33:37

A very interesting idea - and potentially very useful.

I'm not sure "out of core" is a great name - since we haven't used core
memory in 25 years as far as I know.

> create/open/read/write/close file. I would
> have been using std::fstream as a portable file access method, but it
> lacks support of files larger than 2 GB. It is really big
> disadvantage in my case.

I faced this problem some time ago. The problem is was the file sizes over
2GB were supported by the standard fopen, etc on windows. I don't rememeber
how I dealt with unix. I endup making an reimplementing of fopen, fseek in
terms of windows API. (wfopen? - I don't rememeber). At the same time I
also implemented wrappers for posix async i/o around the very unwieldy
windows async API.

I have no idea if this information is useful

Robert Ramey