From: christopher diggins (cdiggins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-07 12:43:02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 12:11 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Boost Profiler Proposal

>> If anyone has a POSIX high-resolution timer modeled on the Boost.Timer
>> concept to share, it would be greatly appreciated! I would also
>> appreciate
>> new profiling policies, to include as examples.
>
> Check ML archive. There was once an implementation posted.

Thanks.

>> PS: this profiling tool seems to be a natural fit for the Boost.Test
> macros
>> like BOOST_CHECK_NO_THROW, I currently use something like:
>>
>> BOOST_PROFILE_AND_CHECK_NO_THROW(TKN)
>> BOOST_CHECK_NO_THROW(BOOST_PROFILE(TKN))
>
> Could you please clarify what exactly it's suposed to do?
> BOOST_CHECK_NO_THROW makes sure that expression doesn't throw. How do you
> connect it with profiling?

My unit tests (and many other people's) are functions which throw exceptions
on failure. By combining profiling and checking for exceptions, I can both
time my test-case and assure its success. However, this is no longer an
issue because you will be already including timing in the next version.

> Couple notes:
>
> 1. Next version of Boost.Test includes test cases timing.

What is the status of this version?

> 2. I do interested in high resolution timer for both Windows and Unix(es).
> found couple places online and in this ML archive that have what I need.

Would you consider submitting these as a separate high_res_timer
mini-library for boost so that everyone can have easy access to them? It
seems to me that these would be good additions to the Boost.Timer library?

> 3. I am interested in adding enhanced profiling abbilities to Boost.Test
> or
> somehow integrating standalone solution into Bosot.Test facilities. But to
> desing the integration I need to understand better what and how you are
> trying to do.

If you haven't already, please take a look at
http://www.cdiggins.com/profiler/ , hopefully this explains my goals. If you
have specific questions I will do my best to answer them.

Best,
Christopher