From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-07 17:05:48

christopher diggins wrote:
> Christopher Diggins
> Object Oriented Template Library (OOTL)
> http://www.ootl.org

I don't see why it couldn't be made to work on a wide variety of systems.
However, the initial goal should just be to support the most widely used
systems. Porting to other systems can be done later as needed, preferably with
the people who need it helping with the porting.

> The current proposal to require native file access methods I think is
> too limiting. I would propose instead writing a new version of fstream
> which operates on vectors of files. This can be done relatively easily by
> using the boost::iostreams library by Jonathan Turkanis, I have posted some
> very preliminary prototype code (i.e. untested, naive, non-portable) at
> http://www.cdiggins.com/big_file.hpp just to give a glimpse of one
> possible approach. The code is modeled after the boost::iostreams::seekable
> concept (
http://home.comcast.net/~jturkanis/iostreams/libs/iostreams/doc/concepts/seekable_device.html
)

This is an intersting idea; I'd like to be convinced that it's necessary before
implementing it.

I think there will be some tricky issues similar to the ones encountered when
implementing temp files. Specifically, you can't assume that the names file.1,
file.2, ... will always be available; when you need a new file, you have to look
for a name which is not used and create the file atomically. Also, the naming
convention should be customizable.

> If Jonathan heeds our call, he could probably finish what I started
> in less than an hour. ;-)

:-)

> Christopher Diggins
> Object Oriented Template Library (OOTL)