From: Victor A. Wagner Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-08 11:46:10

At Monday 2005-02-07 19:15, you wrote:
>At 11:58 AM 2/6/2005, Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
>
> >It's becoming apparent that the ONLY possibilities being considered are CVS
> >(ancient history) and Subversion. Other than my mention of cvsnt and one
> >other NOBODY is looking at it.
>
>Well, I've looked at it. CVSNT looks like it makes some improvements on
>CVS, but stays much more in the CVS mold than SVN. Whether that is good or
>bad depends on your point-of-view. Since CVSNT depends on regular CVS
>clients, my guess is that CVSNT is somewhat limited as to ability to
>introduce new approaches.

well, I'm not sure how "regular" the client is, it's updated along with the
server

C:\Projects\boost>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.62.1852 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.16 (client/server)

that's from my boost root directory.

>I was initially very skeptical of SVN, but after using it I'm rapidly
>becoming convinced that by starting fresh they were able to provide more
>functionality yet greater ease-of-use.

I guess it's time for me to take another look at SVN. I've been
"suffering" w/ the limitations of RCS/CVS since my Amiga days (though I
_did_ get one enhancement pushed through back then). I picked up the docs
on SVN about 2 years ago, and several of us looked at switching from VSS to
it then, but chose cvs(NT) then (because we were going to be running on all
windows systems) because the < 0.50 version just wouldn't do what we needed
and we NEEDED to get off VSS.