From: Jorge Lodos (lodos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-14 16:54:38

Thank you for your comments. I agree with everything you said and try to
avoid singletons in the first place. However, I have a practical problem
that I have been able to "solve" only thru singletons.
In a header only library that uses a class factory, the registration of
objects with the factory is performed in a constructor of an object inside
an anonymous namespace. Since the header may be #included more that once, I
made those objects singletons to avoid multiple registration. The
singleton::instance method may be called more that once without need, that's
why I put "solve" in quotes. Since the object is inside an anonymous
namespace, I can not use templates, which never get instantiated.
If you or anyone else have a suggestion that allows for automatic
registration without using singletons please share it :-) I would like to
keep the anonymous namespace, but if there is a nice solution that requires
a named one then I would adopt it.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Jorge