From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-19 10:53:25

At 09:45 AM 2/19/2005, christopher diggins wrote:

>Thanks for the advice Beman. I would like to submit the profiler library
>boost *without* a high-resolution timer, and rather only provide the
>guarantee of satsifactory performance when used with boost::timer. I am
>using a policy driven design and the user can supply an arbitrary timer
>class which models boost::timer. I see timers as a separate problem from
>the profiler, that I don't want to get into.

That seems like a reasonable idea to me. Eventually someone will get
irritated enough at the lack of a high-resolution timer to work through the
issues, but in the meantime you can be moving your profiling library
forward.

> What do you think, would this kill the chances of a profiler ever
>becoming part of boost?

No way to tell for sure until there is a formal review, but unless it
somehow compromises the design I don't see why anyone would object to that
approach.

--Beman