From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-23 16:33:07

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 14:52 -0500, christopher diggins wrote:

> Well I am still on the fence whether I even want to use the wiki (I don't
> like the possibility of my comments being moved or erased), so I'll still
> make some comments here on the mailing list.

Ok; I'll summarize and add them to the page, as I did with the other
mails. Hope it's ok with you.

In fact, I think that it'd be good to keep it as a document rather than
a repository for emails. That way, most of it could easily end up in
the final BoostBook documentation.

> I have some more comment operator overloading: I can sympathize with the
> desire to keep with tradition of shell notation, but in a programming
> language we have types which completely negates the need for three separate
> operators. In a shell, the three separate operators ( >, <, | ) are used by
> the shell to decide how to interpret the different arguments. However this
> is not needed in a (mostly) typed programming language like C++ because the
> type indicates how each symbol should behave in an expression.
>
> Writing code like:
>
> b | c > d < a;
>
> IMO just looks weird in C++ and is going to surprise everyone who is
> unfamiliar with traditional shell syntax, which is a very fast growing group
> of relatively young programmers who can't really be ignored.
>
> I see absolutely no reason to not move to something which is inherently more
> logical like:
>
> a > b > c > d

Hmm indeed, much clearer. Any special reason about why you used the
'>' operator in the example? I'm wondering if '|' could make sense
(from the shell), although it doesn't implicitly reflect a "direction".
Or what about '>>'? One could think of a process' pipeline as a stream
(I think that would make sense if one considers the concepts of Source,
Sink and Filter from Boost.Iostreams).

> Anyway, I am very pleased to see you taking the initiative on this project
> Julio.

You're welcome. I'm quite motivated to work on this ATM, although my
free time has radically decreased (got back to university this week).
Anyway, I'll try to do what I can, but no promises.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/