From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-24 03:47:16

Daniel James ha escrito:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've just uploaded a new version of the unordered associative
> containers, this time in the 'Hash' folder on the file vault. There's
> also the file 'hash.tar.gz', which is just the hash function object. The
> hash function objects are ready for review, the container library is
> almost ready, it mainly just needs more documentation.
>
> The implementation has been split into two libraries. Boost.Hash
> implements the hash function objects which would go into <functional>,
> so it is proposed that these are added to the functional library. This
> is needed for Joaquín's MultiIndex library, so it would be good to add
> it to Boost as soon as possible.
>
> The other part is Boost.Unordered, which implements the unordered
> associative containers. This is a little larger and more complicated,
> and there's no immediate need for it (unless you count Boost.Tr1).
>
> We're not sure what kind of review these libraries will need. Since
> they're both based on the draft standard, their design isn't really up
> for review here (right?), but the documentation and implementation is.
> Do you think they require a full review, or will a fast track review be
> appropriate?
>
> A fast track review is tentatively scheduled for the hash function
> objects after the review of the finite state machine, with Thorsten
> managing it. The full container library could be included in this, if
> that is considered acceptable. Or it could be added to the queue for a
> full review?
>
> Any opinions?

My opinion is that Boost.Hash should be fasttrack reviewed (Doug went
for immediate committing, but IMHO a little review cannot hurt.)

As for BoostUnordered, I really don't think it qualifies for fasttrack
review (see the requirements at
http://boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm#Fast-Track).
Nonetheless, it'd probably be possible to shedule a
shorter than normal review, since as Daniel points out, the design is
pretty much out of question.

My 2c,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo