From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-24 23:51:43

The serialization library deals with a lot of these issues. I've managed to
make it work with all the compilers that boost supports. I didn't have
problems getting it to this point - but I had no choice but to resolve them
all somehow. The result of my efforts is extended_type_info and void_cast.
Asside from the fact that not all compilers handled the 'const' the same
way, I also needed a little more information than the normal typid()
delivers. Specifically I wanted to cast between pointers at runtime
eventhough the classes weren't polymorphic in the usual sense.

I toyed with the idea of documenting extended_type_info and void_cast
separatly. But I sort of bogged down while trying to imagine how it might
be used by other applications. I do think it could be enhanced and
documented to handle the applications you have in mind - but I can't say for
sure.

Given that you've already invested a lot of effort understanding all the
issues related to this, I would much appreciate it if you could take a look
at extended_type_info and void_cast in the serialization package and render
your assessment of their more general utility.

Robert Ramey