From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-02 04:35:48

"Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> wrote
> Andy Little wrote:

>> IOW the args are 'sugar' in the function pointer/ref case.
>
> Hmmm ... interesting. That seems to be what TR1 says. Do you know why this
> is?

Not really....but the only useful data to result_of in the function pointer
typedef is the return type, while in the case of function-objects the
arguments are potent.
IOW where T is a function-pointer, T describes it completely ; whereas
where T is a function-object, the T(a,b,c) syntax is essential.

Therefore when T is a function-pointer, reference or straight function type
result_of<T>::type would seem to me to be a valid invocation.

regards
Andy Little