From: christopher diggins (cdiggins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-02 15:34:46

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:43 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Resigning from Boost.Profiler

> christopher diggins wrote:
>> I am going to have to stop development of Boost.Profiler. IMO there
>> is still a huge gap between where it is and where it would have to go
>> to be both robust and simple enough to be appropriate for Boost.
>> Honestly I don't see it happening without a more robust and portable
>> high_resolution_timer, which requires far more time and energy than I
>> am willing to commit.
>
> I'm very sorry to hear this. I have not followed the discussion carefully,
> but
> my impression was that everything was going well.
>
>> Where is the best place to upload my current snapshot, so that others
>> can take over if they want?
>
> http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/vault/
>
> Jonathan

Thanks,

I have uploaded the code to the vault as profiler.zip

As Brian pointed out, he is now trying the code out. The code as it stands
does work somewhat (at least on windows), but here is a list of things which
I am disatisfied with:

- there is still only a high_resolution timer on windows
- the windows timer is jittery
- the windows timer has a very high latency
- the windows timer should use time_duration instead of using a template
type in the profile manager
- the default profile_manager uses a map with string keys to store stats for
individual profiles, which is VERY inefficient
- the windows timer has other bugs which are not documented (one Booster
testified to this)
- the workaround for an inherent bug in the Windows API call is
unsatisfactory
- many users are going to run into underflow problems
- I could find no satisfactory default way of dealing with underflow and
overflow

Big thank you to Brian for stepping up to the plate on this one!

Christopher Diggins
Object Oriented Template Library (OOTL)
http://www.ootl.org