From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-05 16:01:36

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 22:38:31 +0200, Boris wrote
> Jeff Garland wrote:
> > [...]
> > Other Wiki's are now using content filters to prevent spam from ever
> > being committed. At the core of the spamming is a desire to get
> > links into google. So the filters essentially evaluate the content of
>
> Another solution is to add rel="nofollow" to all hyperlinks in the
> Wiki (or use a filter to add this attribute only to some links).
> Google, MSN Search and Yahoo! (and maybe others) will ignore these
> links. Google came up with the idea in January because of the huge
> amount of comment spam in blogs. See
> http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-
> spam.html Of course we have then to make sure that the spammers get
> the message and understand that their links are not considered any more.

Yes, thanks, I'm already aware of this and is another step I'm considering.
It has two disadvantages I see. It doesn't stop the uninformed spammer from
defacing the site. It has the potential to reduce the overall influence of
the boost user community has on search results if we do it globally...

Jeff