From: Andreas Huber (ahd6974-spamgroupstrap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-07 14:05:01

Iain K. Hanson wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 07:42:59PM +0100, Andreas Huber wrote:
>> Hi Iain,
>>
>> Thanks for your review!
>>
> I'm sorry it had to be negative but I did try to warn you when we
> discussed this previously.

No need to apologize, that's what reviews are about!

> [snip]
>
>> So, if you or anyone else has
>> a good idea how all the requirements can be satisfied while keeping
>> the performance comparable to hand-written FSMs I'd be very
>> interested to hear it.
>
> Thanks for the history that I've sniped. I understand fully what you
> mean. I have had the similar problems with my sockets library. The
> problem IMHO is a lack of meta-programming skills ( I've certainly
> suffered from ). However, Czarnecki & Eisenecker showed that C++ is
> Church Turring complete at compile time so as long as this conjecture
> holds it has to be doable.

In one TU yes. I don't think it is doable over multiple TUs. The main
problem I see is that there are no global data structures at compile
time that would allow you to build a dispatch table with CT lookup.

Regards,

--
Andreas Huber
from the address shown in the header.