From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-08 08:48:53

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 09:29:31AM +0100, Daniel Frey wrote:

> Sylvain Pion wrote:
> >2/
> >I think it is "Euclidean Ring", not "Euclidian Ring" ("e" instead of
> >"i"), hence the names for euclidian_ring_operators<T> and similar,
> >are unfortunate.
>
> From what I can see, both spellings seem to be used, where Google
> offers "Do you mean Euclidean" for "Euclidian", but the latter has
> 3.500.000 hits against 1.500.000 for Euclidean. Strange. Also, look at
> this: <http://www.dictionary.net/euclidian>. So, my question is: What is
> really correct? Can you (or someone else) give a reference?

I've always used the Chambers dictionary, which allows both:
http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/chref/chref.py/main?title=21st&query=euclidean

Although the 1994 hardcopy edition I have only has "Euclidean"

jon

--
"In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been
 times like these."