From: Tobias Schwinger (tschwinger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-09 04:46:50

Larry Evans wrote:
> On 03/08/2005 06:26 AM, Tobias Schwinger wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I use 'apply', 'apply_one' and 'apply_but' functions that allow me to
>> apply functors to all elements, one element and all but one elements,
>> respectively (I use different versions for both static and dynamic
>> indices and both static and dynamic functors):
>

> What does "static" and "dynamic" mean here? Does static mean
> "evaluable at compile time" and "dynamic" means otherwise?

Yes. A curious question: what else could it possibly mean in this context ?

> [snip]
>
>> - Do you know the Boost.Assign technique ?
>> I use a similar approach to have a nice syntax for initialization and
>> inlining that works within expressions:
>>
>> my_quaternion = n_x * sin_half_a
>> , n_y * sin_half_a
>> , n_z * sin_half_a
>> , cos_half_a;
>>
>> and
>>
>> vector_slice<0,3> (my_quaternion)
>> = (vec_inl| n_x,n_y,0.0) * sin_half_a;
>>
> Never seen this (vec_inl| n_x,n_y,0.0). Looks like
> a set expression or lambda expression. Could you
> provide a reference. I searched:
>
> http://www.boost.org/libs/assign/doc/index.html#reference
>
> for the character '|' but got no results.

This is _not_ Boost.Assign! As stated above it's part of my private
library but it has some similarities to Boost.Assign.

I use this to allow per-element data to be inlined in expressions.
'operator|' is overloaded for a tag type (vec_inl is a global of that
type) and scalar types, creates an expression object for which an
overloaded 'operator,' exists to append elements.

>> ( The 'my_quaternion' variable from the examples is a four-dimensional
>> vector, _not_ a boost::quaternion. )
>>
> Does "four-dimensional" mean "length is four" or "accessing a scalar
> requires four indices passed to the operator()", e.g.

Is this really that ambiguous ? AFAIK it's a proper mathematical term...
Besides quaternions consist of four scalars (so I might as well omitted
'four-dimensional'). I found it necessary to disclaim it's not a
boost::quaternion, though...

Regards,

Tobias