From: Reid Sweatman (drunkardswalk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-09 20:57:37

tm has a
interesting point about colour which I haven't seen mentioned here;

Works Within Industry Conventions

Often there are consistencies among logos in certain industries, and
following these conventions can help customers more easily identify what
you do or what you sell. This doesn't mean you should sacrifice
originality, but it does mean you (or the firm creating your logo design)
should be aware of patterns among logos in your industry and somehow
incorporate these consistencies into your design.

For example, did you realize that the main color for the logos for
Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Hewlett Packard and Intel is blue? The color blue is
associated with stability and progress and has long been a standard color
among high-tech companies. So if you were a technology company, you would
probably want to incorporate blue into your logo design to take advantage
of these positive built-in associations.
</quote>

I guess choosing a logo is very personal and emotive (compared to
accepting, or not, a new library).. but personally I trust the judgement of
the people here and the process.. discussion is the key I feel.

First of all, "This is a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call.
Listen, Dimitri...if it weren't a friendly call...you probably wouldn't have
even gotten it." <g>

Yes, I did know that about blue and computers, although I've never read a
book that related blue to "progress." Stability, yes. Depending on the
saturation and exact hue, also constancy, power, energy, soothing or
meditative qualities (the list of adjectives could go on indefinitely <g>).
My personal take is that it says "safety" to an industry that's anything but
predictable. Which isn't to denigrate it. I like blue. Got blue color
schemes on all my machines (or teal, which is close). It just seemed that
no one had given it any thought, and I was trying to, well, *goose* people a
bit, maybe get someone to try something else. If you noticed it as it
breezed past and sank, my one early attempt was blue, and I thought at that
time (seem to recall some posts that made me think that) we were supposed to
keep the old color, to minimize collateral changes to color in the page
content.

As for "targeting the audience," I harbor a deep suspicion that just because
coders work with text doesn't mean they'll necessarily *respond* positively
to it. Sadly, I have a wee bit of experience to tell me that (don't ask,
don't tell <g>). For one thing, yeah, we're working in a text medium, but I
don't really think the bulk of us are really all that language-oriented.
I'd wager that better than 95% of the people who track this list are male
(which I do *not* say to belittle women, or even to suggest that the logo
should just target males--I'm just talking numbers), which dictates a pretty
strong statistical leaning towards problem-solving techniques based on some
form of physical visualization. (About to commit the sin of generalizing
from a single particular, but...) I'm about as language-oriented as it goes,
with an advanced degree in writing and Lit, but when I code, I *picture*
things. Abstract patterns of colored blocks, actually. It's subtle, but
there. Now, after all that disquisition, I'll observe that a text logo can
work. Good ones are pretty hard to do, but you can think of some if you
try. However, apart from IBM, can you really think of many others? Look
closely at HP's logo, or Motorola's, any of that ilk, and you'll see there's
a graphic component even to them. Hell, there's one to IBM's. Check out
what their trademark actually is. Block serif lettering in a particular
shade of blue, broken by horizontal drop-outs. Hmmmn. I'm looking at the
Dell logo on my monitor; not sure what it means to do. Looks like it's got
"lazy E syndrome." <g> It may be that a large percentage of the submissions
are text-based simply because that's the first idea anyone will have, on
average.

I would say that, yes you *do* need to be thinking about all those
foundations, if you expect to get it trademarked, because anything not
explicitly specified in the description will *not* be considered part of the
trademark. You also have to be careful not to over-constrain the
definition, or you can arrive at situations where you can't claim copyright
protection for certain usages. For instance, a logo I once did (still think
it's my best) for a rock band was largely defined by a geometric pattern
that surrounded and dominated the opening capital of the band's name. There
was also a backdrop done in a flame scheme by airbrush, and I'd designed a
custom font for the name that echoed patterns in the geometric figure. The
description finally filed mentioned only the figure and the name. Including
the font would have forced the band to always use only that font. Likewise
the backdrop; that logo had to appear on a number of things, and lots of
them wouldn't have been conducive to having a lot of deep saturated reds,
oranges, and yellows on them. I'm speaking of US trademark law, of course.
I don't know the conventions in other countries. But yeah, I do think of
this process as "establishing a brand," in the full commercial sense. Were
I at liberty to drop names, I could tell you a tale of a company that
neglected to trademark a very important part of what had come to be a
long-established and well-known brand, and their main competitor simply
appropriated it for their own advertising, undoubtedly luring customers who
associated that very key thing with the wrong company. But I ain't. And I
ain'ta gonna. <g> Okay, Boost isn't a "company" in the traditional sense.
But it's got to work with laws designed for corporate protection, and that
means really working with them.

Yeah, it's personal. Since Boost isn't a company I "own" or do branding for
though, I'm not emotional about it. If it's seemed that way, I apologize
for the impression I managed to import into my messages. And yep,
discussion is the key. Which is what we're doing, I thought. <g>

Reid