From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-18 18:03:50

In .NET the asynchronous call occurs on a delegate ( Boost equivalent is a
boost::function<> ) running on a separate thread. The delegate is passed a
structure which allows the asynchronous callback to complete. Thus to
asynchronously accept a connection, one calls aSocket.BeginAccept passing
the delegate as well as user-defined data, including the original socket, in
a structure, and when the delegate on the thread accepts a connection, it
calls aSocket.EndAccept(theStructure) to get back a socket for the
connection. All .NET asynchronous socket calls work similiarly, and the use
of threads and delegates seems to me a strong combination and works very
easily.

Obviously Boost has a thread library, although I have not used it, and it
has a callback mechanism in boost::function<> which I have used extensively,
so designing an asynchronous I/O library around these two concepts seems
like a good design to me.

"Boris" <boris_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> asynchronous I/O I was examining various implementations. Scott Woods had
> thought loudly about an asynchronous library which could be the platform
for
> a network library and maybe others. I like this idea but look at this
mess:

> 1) Signal-Driven I/O
> SIGIO is sent to a process whenever something happens with the socket. As
> there are too many things happening with a TCP socket the signal is
> generated too often and "signal-driven I/O is next to useless with a TCP
> socket" (W. Richard Stevens in his network bible). As there is just one
> signal handler per signal it shouldn't be used in a library anyway.
>
> 2) Threads
> There are different solutions possible eg. every thread calling a blocking
> function or one thread blocking while the other threads handle requests.
> However these are just variations of the blocking I/O model and
multiplexing
> with the disadvantage of increased complexity because of threads.
>
> 3) AIO
> AIO is part of the Single UNIX Specification and an official standard for
> asynchronous input and output. The AIO API is based on file descriptors
and
> defines a few functions inluding aio_read() and aio_write(). I/O is
> asynchronous because the process is notified when an input or output
> operation is completed - there is either a signal sent to the process or a
> callback function is executed (as a thread). Further more it is possible
> poll a file descriptor if the process doesn't want to wait for the signal
or
> the callback function.
> Now to the disadvantages: Linux 2.6 doesn't support AIO with sockets (see
> http://lse.sourceforge.net/io/aio.html). There are some AIO patches for
> Linux 2.4 but nothing official. Even if AIO support was complete there are
> no aio_connect() and aio_accept() functions. I wonder if connections have
> be built up synchronously (I guess so as AIO wasn't designed only for
> sockets anyway).
>
> 4) I/O completion ports
> This I/O model is based on a concept called port. A port is similar to a
> multiplexor and waits for several input or output operations to complete.
> There can be several ports each multiplexing on several file descriptors.
> Windows XP, Windows 2000 Pro and Windows NT 3.5 support I/O completion
> ports. However the application has to call a blocking function for a port
> be notified when an I/O operation is complete.
>
> 4) Event completion framework
> The event completion framework behaves like I/O completion ports. However
> the process can be notified of different types of events not only of the
> completion of I/O operations. Solaris 10 supports these events: AIO,
timer,
> file descriptor, user-defined and waking up threads (see
FreeBSD,

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=kqueue&amp;apropos=0&amp;sektion=0&amp;manpath=FreeBSD+5.0-current&amp;format=html).

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/index.html)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/waitformultipleobjects.asp).

> Then I had a look at ACE as I wondered how they support asynchronous I/O
> with their Proactor class on different operating systems: They don't. They
> use this preprocessor directive in the beginning of Proactor.h:
> #if ((defined (ACE_WIN32) && !defined (ACE_HAS_WINCE)) || (defined
> (ACE_HAS_AIO_CALLS)))
> // This only works on Win32 platforms and on Unix platforms supporting
POSIX
> aio calls.
>
> Someone wanted to port a Windows applications to Linux which was using the
> Proactor class. The ACE people told him he should say good-bye to Proactor
> (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ace-users/message/38548).
>
> Last but not least Linux 2.5 introduced a new API called epoll (see
> http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man4/epoll.4.php). It doesn't support
> asynchronous I/O but tries to get rid of all the disadvantages select()
and